Customising the Denim Jacket

Customising the Denim Jacket

Denim Jackets are back!!

I am so happy that Denim Jackets have returned for Spring/Summer 2018, it’s taking me right back to my childhood and one of the thing’s that was everywhere was customising your denim jackets, dungarees and jeans. We have seen customised denim in the fashion store’s but there’s nothing more fun than doing it yourself, and it make’s it a one-off special.

The quickest way to customise your denim and the easiest to switch up if ever you want a change is with pins and badges, and there are so many options of pins/badges out there, from band/movies to cute enamel pins. The pins I’ve used to to customise are from the Old English Company Haul that I did a few day’s ago, along with a couple of pin’s that I received inside a Birchbox. The thing with pins/badges is that you can literally put them anywhere or even change up the look each time you wear it, placing the pins where ever your heart desires.

Medium Blue Denim Jacket Customisation, Look 1: Old English Company Heart Enamel Pins attached to the collar of the Denim Jacket - emmarollason.com

Medium Blue Denim Jacket Customisation Look 1: Old English Company Enamel Pins added to the collar of the Denim Jacket to accessorise the look - emmarollason.com

So for this first customisation look I decided to keep it nice and simple, adding only a few of my pins to the collar of my denim jacket, the She Is Fierce and Heart Breaker pins from Old English Company make such a cute pairing that I decided on adding them to each side of the collar and pairing them with the Monstera Leaf and Ice Cream Pin’s.

Medium Blue Denim Jacket Customisation Look 2: Using an assortment of pins from Old English Company accessorised on the right lapel of jacket - emmarollason.com

For this second customisation look, I added the pins to the right shoulder of the jacket, keeping them all in one place and creating a little design/pattern. As the collection grows you could switch your pins up or carry them across onto the left shoulder, but I kinda liked the asymmetrical look of just having them all on the one side. The possibilities of pin/badge customisation is endless, you could even customise your bag or a pair of dungarees.

Medium Blue Denim Jacket Customisation Look 3: Girl Gang Iron-On Patch applied to left arm - emmarollason.com

Medium Blue Denim Jacket Customisation Look 3: XoXo Iron On Patch applied to back of jacket on right shoulder - emmarollason.com

Another customisation technique is Iron-On patches, these are a little more durable than pins and when they’re on they’re on. Iron-On Patches are super simple to apply to any garment, just Iron the area of the garment you want to apply your patch, place the patch with the glue side facing down and the design facing upwards, place a light material over the patch, I used an old t-shirt, then apply the Iron holding a constant pressure down onto the patch for 30-35 seconds, turn the garment inside out and repeat the process, leave to cool for a minute and check edges, if any edge’s aren’t secured down just repeat the final step.

The two patches I chose are from Old English Company, and I thought they’d make a cute pair, Girl Gang I positioned on to the left arm of the jacket and XoXo to the right back shoulder of the jacket. I placed these down in several positions before deciding exactly where I wanted them, I thought about keeping them symmetrical/mirroring one and other; one on each arm or one on the front and one on the back, but I didn’t feel it worked, so I had a play with where I thought they would look good and came up with this final look which I’m obsessed with.

I’ve had so much fun customising this Jacket, would you/how do you customise your clothes?

1. May 24, 2018 / 8:25 am

Yay! Thanks for this post Emma! 💖 Your denim jacket looks super cool! I love how you have kept the pins all on one side, that looks really stylish. Its such a good look and awesome you can customise and add/remove them as the collection grows. I need to get some of those iron in patches too 😍. This has really inspired me to get creative with my demin jacket ☺️. Fab post girl and gorgeous photos xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• May 24, 2018 / 3:14 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words, Bexa. It was so much fun styling it up with the pins and patches, I’m now torn between going full ott or keeping it scaled down because I really love how it turned out but I wanna do more like it, maybe I just need more clothes to play with haha. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post and it has inspired you to get creative with your own denim jacket, I’d love to see how you would customise yours xx

2. May 24, 2018 / 12:57 pm

I am so excited about wearing my old denim jacket! This is such a cool idea I cannot wait to try it and make the jacket my own!

• May 24, 2018 / 3:19 pm

I love the denim jacket, I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to actually buy one. I’d love to see your finished jacket and see how you would customise yours xx

3. May 24, 2018 / 4:05 pm

I used to love my old Jean jacket! I think I might even still have one in the back of my closet! So glad they are making a come back and the enamel lines are just so adorable. Finally I have a reason to buy some!

4. May 24, 2018 / 5:09 pm

Your jacket looks so brill! I’ve been looking to do exactly this so thank you for your tips! X

5. May 24, 2018 / 5:22 pm

I love all the pins and badges you picked, they all look so cute on the jacket! I need to start wearing my denim jackets more now it’s summer! x

Andrea | Trxpical Andrea

6. May 24, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I do have a plain denim jacket in my closet, now I know how to make it uber cool. Thanks for the idea!

7. julietlylillyrose
    May 24, 2018 / 6:16 pm

I love the girl gang patch and the pins! I plan on customizing a denim jacket with some distressing too.

8. May 24, 2018 / 7:05 pm

Your jacket is so cute! Got any tips for how to make a demin jacket look good on a plus size woman. I feel like I always end up looking box-y in them so I don’t own one, which as a product of the 90s, is sad for me because I do like the throwback-ness

• May 24, 2018 / 8:09 pm

Ahh thank you Jayla. I would recommend looking around and trying on different cuts, fabric’s, colours and finding one you love, I tried on a few jackets before I found this one. I hope you find one that you love, you’re going to look stunning xx

9. Lisa's Notebook
    May 24, 2018 / 7:32 pm

Love this post! I have an old denim jacket in my wardrobe that I never wear but you’ve inspired me to dig it out and funk it up – I’ve got some pins and a couple of iron on patches that Flora didn’t want so I’m all set 🙂 And may I say you look fabulous in your photos! x

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• May 24, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Aww Lisa’s that’s so kind of you, I’m glad I’ve inspired you to get creative with your jacket, I can’t wait to see it when it’s all finished xx

10. May 24, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Oh my goodness, the pins you’ve got are so gorgeous! I’ve never thought of this before, what a great idea Emma!
    Love, Cally x

11. May 24, 2018 / 8:51 pm

Love what you’ve done to your jacket! It really makes it more unique and more personal and I love that!

12. May 25, 2018 / 12:26 am

It looks so cute! ☺️

13. May 25, 2018 / 9:20 am

This is so cool! I love the girl gang patch from the Old English Company, I would have that as like a print. You pull this off really well.

Kay xx